Tuesday 24 September 2013

Zonuts - The Beautiful Love Child of Croissants and Donuts

As promised, a blog on zonuts!

For those of you who don't know about zonuts (or cronuts), they are one of the yummiest and dangerous inventions to come to life. They're the beautiful love child of croissants and donuts conceived at the Zumbo Patisseries. Each week the dessert mastermind, Adriano Zumbo, comes up with a set of creative and mouthwatering new flavours of zonuts. In case you can't tell ...i'm a self-proclaimed dessert junky.

So what makes zonuts different to any ordinary donut? It has the flaky pastry layers of a croissant, with the deep fried goodness and shape of a donut. It's a creation that words don't justify, and one that is so simple in concept that I'm surprised nobody thought of it earlier.

Here are some of the flavours I've had before (not including the future flavours I plan to demolish):

Cookies and Cream (on the right)
Exactly like its name, it has a chocolate cream filling with cookie crums sprinkled over the top. Not overly sweet, and perfect with a cup of tea.



Raspberry Rose and Marshmallow
Interesting flavour combination, although after a while the marshmallow filling turned into a bit of a weird texture ..almost like gum which has been left out for a while? Best eaten straight away. 



Strawberry Mascarpone (below left)
This would have to be my overall favourite! The mascarpone is absolutely delicious, and together with the pastry it's not too sweet. Hopefully Mr Zumbo, will bring this one back.

Caramelised Mango (on the right)
It was yummy at first, but after a few bites and deciding I preferred the strawberry mascarpone one ..the mango one quickly became neglected. It's not a strong mango flavour, and you do taste that it has been "caramelised". To be honest, I think I would've preferred a fresh mango flavour instead.




All I can say is, no matter how weird and eccentric the flavour combo may sound, just go for it! Zumbo has this unique way of making odd things work.

This weeks flavour of the week is Caramelised Salted Popcorn, give it a try and let me know what it's like. 

Quick fact before I leave! The original cronuts are actually in the process of being trademarked, so keep an eye out for creative twists on the name.

Now excuse me as I roll away with new found double chin haha, ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment